Saturday 6 August 2011

Thing 8: Google calendar

Well a bit of a break so I could go on holiday, but now I've got four things to catch up on! Help, I'd best get on.

Google Calendar... Well I already have the 23 Things Google calendar set up, which I've used since coming back to check up on things which I may have missed or to see the theme for each week, but that's it. It seems easy to use and is quite clear and I like the way that all calendars can be viewed together clearly (a bit of a plus compared to viewing lots of calendars in Outlook.)

I have Outlook at work which I have to use for my email and so I use the Outlook calendar for work. I also take a diary around with wherever I go, since there's not always a PC free or available. It does mean that I'm duplicating effort, but I've learned to work like that. We've only just moved to Outlook from Lotus Notes and many staff are still getting to grips with how Outlook deals with email, so even the Outlook calendar is still not really used by many staff. I am glad to have got rid of Lotus Notes calendar, that really was not the nicest of calendars to use!

At home I just can't use a PC to check up what's happening all the time, so I'll stick to a paper calendar and diary I think. I also use Thunderbird to check my mail at home as I have a couple of email accounts which I can check together. Using the Google calendar means it's just another thing to log in and check or update. I have an Android mobile, but the Internet, etc, are only set up for when there's a wi-fi network available. OK, I know I can set it otherwise, but I can't afford that on my lowly librarian salary! Another reason for sticking to a paper diary at home is so that everyone can see what's happening and we can have a combined diary/calendar.

It's interesting to see how libraries are using the library calendar. Unfortunately, I can't see it as something which our authority is likely to take up easily or with open arms. I can see the library service being interested, but things like this would most likely have to go to a higher level or involve different departments, which is when things get interesting... There is also a small matter of staff time and making sure we have a member of staff to set all this up. Currently we have details on our website under each library which states when events are happening, these are only allowed to be inputted on the site by certain members of staff.

I'll keep this one on the back burner methinks for a while, as I can see where it's useful and how it can be used to advantage for libraries. As for home, I'll stick to paper...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nikki,
    You can get a Thunderbird add on that will display things from your google calendar, if you're interested. Just search for lightning google calendar and you'll get the instructions. I can't send you the link because I keep getting redirected to add ons for mobile devices instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki Herriott09 August, 2011 07:34

    Thanks Niamh, I didn't know about that add-on for Thunderbird. I shall certainly look into it, as I have a terrible habit of writing things on the calendar at home and not in my diary. You can imagine the problems I have when I try to combine the two!!

    ReplyDelete