Tuesday 18 October 2011

Thing 23: The end, but not as we know it!

This is quite sad. I've really enjoyed doing this "course". I've virtually met so many interesting people and I'm going to miss the contact. I know we all say we'll continue writing our blogs, but will we? Certainly I doubt if I will write so many posts on this blog.

I have a lot to look forward to, however, and my SWOT gives me a lot to think about. Some points from my personal SWOT include:

Strengths
Much greater awareness of web 2.0 resources and software
The use of at least four or five things constantly in my daily work life meaning that I'm more organised and more productive
Willingness to exploit new technologies to show how they can improve our day-to-day working
Willingness to learn, even outside the work environment

Weaknesses
Not keeping on top of new technologies as much as I can, particularly now 23 Things has finished...
Not convinced by my brand, I have two currently, one professional, one not - how can I combine the two and make it look professional like Joeyanne Libraryanne?

Opportunities
The new technologies from 23 Things which were a great opportunity
Learning from other people by reading their blogs
My impending move to New Zealand - this is a BIG opportunity and is taking up a lot of my life currently

Threats
My impending move to New Zealand... I know I've repeated myself, but however much I ask questions from friends/colleagues, read up and rely on past visits, the country is still a relative unknown, particularly with the world of work. I'll be completely out of my "comfort zone" and will be a big change, but I'm up for it!!

So where DO I go from here? Well it's all a bit up in the air, my current job contract finishes next July (and most likely not renewed) and if I'm not in New Zealand by then, I'll be job hunting in the UK, mainly as a stop gap. Perhaps I can get involved with something locally for CILIP which may give me something else to aim for. I've never been a mentor, but I think it might be quite a rewarding thing to do, but starting training and finishing it before I move may be difficult. I have also considered Revalidation of my Chartership, but I think it's getting a bit late in the day to start that too.

In the meantime, I'm also trying to keep up with LIANZA and the job market in NZ. I may do best to see if I can join in with their activities from a distance.

This all seems quite indecisive, but it's difficult in my current position to say right, this is what I will do. It may be that I get to NZ and find I can't get an information post, in which case I'll be falling back on plans B or C... That means re-learning teaching methods and mathematics or doing lots of sewing to get my confidence up!

In the meantime, thanks 23 Things, this has been useful, interesting and I've a lot to take away from this. I won't say it's been easy, but how can I learn if it's all easy. I've had to do a lot of this at home, however, the main frustration I had over this, was the fact we have these fantastic technologies with which to improve our daily work and services, and they're blocked. What I need to do is to continue practising with them to ensure I don't forget them! I certainly will continue to read any blogs which are still updated, I've no end saved in my Google Reader!

As for a 6-word story, I may have to pass on that one, or could I put "Here's to the next 23..." Ooh, that's only five words - how's about that then? :-)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nikki

    thanks for the comments you've made on my blog. I've enjoyed reading your blog and look forward to finding an email in my in-box one day saying "Nikki here, I've made it to NZ" - helen.yuretich@fndc.govt.nz

    ReplyDelete