Friday 15 July 2011

Thing 5: Reflections (Musings) of a librarian

I've taken a while to comment on this "Thing". One excuse, I've moved locations and job role and I've less time to get on a PC at work and secondly, I've been reflecting on what I've covered (yes honestly!)

I think I should have written down my thoughts during the week, so I could turn them into some mind-blowing amazing post, but I haven't, and so this is written relying on my memory! (Bad idea, but I'll give it a go!) I think I may base this on Helen's 23 Things post from yesterday, as the structure is clear and helpful.

Thing 1  As I've probably mentioned far too many times, I already have another blog on the go, although this one now seems to be the most frequently updated. It took me a while to decide to publish the first blog. Lots of questions, mainly around have I got time for this and also will people really want to read what I write, is my writing up to standard, etc, etc. These all seem quite negative thoughts. I don't think I'm a negative person, but perhaps my thoughts and reflections tend to the negative side?

Thing 2  I like to comment on posts if I find them interesting, although many times, I'd like to just say Me too or I like this, but as usual, my fingers get carried away and I type too much!


Thing 3  Personal brand, like Helen and possibly like many people I'm still umming and ahhing about the amount of personal information I've made available online.However, I'm quite happy to create things like this blog, create accounts with Twitter, etc. Possibly my main concern is that I haven't given my brand much thought (or not as much as I should have done!) I think it needs to be more consistent across different applications. Although I have another blog, I think it's still possible to access that via this blog and I really need to make sure I'm relatively careful on there (although a part of me still says that's my hobby and not work and so they shouldn't be compared.) Same with anything I say on Facebook...

Thing 4  This is still the one I'm getting used to or trying to use effectively... Google Reader is a great way of combining all the blogs I follow, although one blog updates frequently and it's sometimes difficult to keep up to date with it. One plea I have is that I wish blog titles were more obvious about the content, rather than decidedly obscure... I've yet to see I use for Pushnote (sorry to all those who love it!) As for Twitter, well at the moment I'm just a lurker really. I don't feel I have lots to say (apart from when writing these posts!!) and follow lots of "people" on Twitter. It is however I great way of finding out information and keeping up with news if you follow the right accounts. I certainly read tweets everyday even if I don't tweet myself. It's a start!

I'm the only member of staff at work taking part in this (to my knowledge) and so don't really get the chance to discuss things in the way I may do with other participants, but it has given me the chance to suggest possible ways of promoting our services.

I'm looking forward positively... Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment