Tuesday 19 July 2011

Thing 6: Online Networks

I've been really looking forward to this weeks' things, but now we're here I'm not sure what to say!

I've both Facebook and LinkedIn profiles. I've had a Facebook profile for some time now, it's definitely for play only, although I do try to keep any status updates and information on there as clean and PC as possible. I've also made sure that it's relatively locked down with only my friends being able to see updates, photos, etc.

I created a LinkedIn profile about two years' ago. I've only recently begun to see how it may work. I've found it's take-up quite slow in the UK from my own point of view and to my knowledge it's certainly never been used for professional networking. I've also recently given my profile a proper re-vamp with job descriptions and details brought across from my CV. I currently have few Connections, but since LinkedIn is professional and work based, I don't expect to have that many (compared to my friends on Facebook).

We're in the process of completely upping sticks and moving to the other side of the world and both of us have already been asked by prospective employers if we have LinkedIn profiles. It's a brilliant way of sharing your CV internationally without having to worry about an email and attachment getting lost in the ether. LinkedIn also has good security, in that people outside your network cannot see a thing, apart from your name and current job role. I'm still really learning how to use LinkedIn, but I'm certainly hooked.

I do agree with Reid Hoffman. The whole front-end to LinkedIn is considerably more professional than Facebook and I treat them as such.

As for Google+, I've not had an invitation to join, so I assume I'm not at the top of Google's priorities! I have a friend in the States who just seems to have had no end of problems with the site. I've also seen all Phil Bradley's reviews on his blog. Phil has added a large number of images and reviews on searching, etc. It's good to see what they have to offer, but really do we have time for yet another networking site. Particularly when sites such as Facebook are so established. Certainly at the moment, I can't see it taking over the world, like Google seems to have with many other web-type things, even if it does have those lovely bright Google colours that intice you to go further...
(image taken from Phil Bradley's weblog)

As for the librarian-based communities/networks, I'm a member on the CILIP site, but haven't used the CILIP communities before. I'll have a look and comment at a later date. I intended to join Johanna's Librarians as Teachers as I used to work with Johanna (my claim to fame) and think she's an inspiration with so much energy! I also felt it was an excellent group, as many librarians, particularly in academic and education libraries do a large amount of teaching (and many, unlike me, have never trained to teach.) The trouble was, that was as far as I got and completely forgot about it until mentioned in this Thing. I will endeavour to check them out again.

I've never considered LISNPN, I assumed it was for new professionals and really didn't think I'd get much from it. Perhaps I'm looking at it the wrong way, I can join in and offer some of my experience to new professionals. I've been qualified for 20 years and Chartered five years later and having worked in a number of different sectors, I have some experience to offer. I'll definitely give it a look.

So going back to my first paragraph, I've managed to write/type quite a bit! I've certainly learned about new communities/networking sites which may be useful. I've even been reflective (go steady!) with my comments about LISNPN. Let's keep going...

No comments:

Post a Comment