Thursday 23 June 2011

Librarian fantasies

Already, I'm considering combining my two blogs into one - anyone know how to do that?

I originally planned to keep work and my hobby separate, but one post is making me think otherwise! I regularly follow a blog by a fellow sewer http://didyoumakethat.wordpress.com/ The latest post entitled "Libraries. Where shhh happens" has opened a lot of comments from librarians and sewers alike.

Strangely, all the sewers seem to have a fantasy of being a librarian and using a date stamp. No date stamps within HCC, we have receipts for our members printed out from the RFID kiosks, but I have to admit, many still wish we had date stamps, since the receipts get lost! I don't want to spoil the fantasies of these sewers, in fact it makes me feel somehow warm inside to think of the support they're giving us. (Even though most of them admitted to having either expired tickets or overdue fines, they seemed to be full of praise for libraries.)

Not to mention the latest praise from Sue Perkins on Just a Minute.

"Now, Nicholas I don't want to teach you to suck eggs but what I find in my local library are books, mainly for people to take away to borrow. They can open the doors, present a card and then leave with nuggets of literature bound in plastic so nare a spill should tarnish their incredible cover.  For those who have tunnel vision, there are also volumes that will allow them to read at some distance.  My grandmother used to love a Catherine Cookson from a library.  She would mount it at the end of her long hallway and still, with those uncataracted eyes, she would be able to make out even the most nugatory of vowels.  It is an incredible place of learning.  We must fight to make sure that no government removes these accessible institutions which gave those... (MASSIVE CHEERING)... Save the Libraries!" Sue Perkins, Just A Minute (Radio Four, 14.30 to 15.30)
Text courtesy of http://www.publiclibrariesnews.com/

I think this image and text describes it all really

No comments:

Post a Comment