Wednesday 29 June 2011

Thing 3: My Brand

Oops! At the beginning of my last post, I was asking if anyone knew how to combine blogs, as it seemed lots of people were putting everything on the same blog. Now, I hate to say it, I'm seriously considering moving one to a different provider! Will I ever make my mind up?

Having read the recommended reading from the CPD23 Blog I began to think about my profile and the blogs I write. One was intended for CPD23 only and I thought that I'd probably never touch it after finishing this summer, but somehow, I think I could be wrong on that. My other blog was created first and relates to my hobby. The name of that doesn't really encourage musings about my professional life which this one does. For those who are getting nosy, here is my other blog... Nikki's Stitches



I think the design of my two blogs is similar, they were relatively clear displays which I like, but I changed them slightly to use fonts which I use on everything I create. Since I have two blogs using the same provider, my profile is linked, I've had to update my profile to combine details about my work and hobby. I'll be brave and ask you to tell me what you think of my blog and the design I've used, not to mention my writing style.

I have searched my name a couple of times on Google before now, just out of interest mainly. I don't use my full name on hardly anything, but thought out of interest I'd search that too. With my full name, very little was there, except a phone book entry from 2003! Worryingly enough it had my address at the time. I'm hoping I've moved on since then and can't be traced. My results for my nickname are the standard ones for many, I should think. Top of the list, my LinkedIn page, of which I am aware does not follow my brand and doesn't read as well as I'd like. Other pages seem to be other profile sites which, from what I gather, get information from LinkedIn, Facebook, etc. There are a couple of nice links on, relating to a presentation at an international conference and a review of a conference which I attended. I also found a link to a website which I created sometime ago, which Google still has cached.

I think the main thing to change at the moment is my LinkedIn page, I'm hoping my other presence on the Internet reflects me and who I am. I know how I'd like to come across, but whether I actually present that image on here, it would be interesting. As I mentioned earlier, I'm brave, I can take your comments!

4 comments:

  1. I, too, am a sewer and a librarian. I keep my blogs separate, even using a different name for myself. Weebly allows you to have multiple blogs/websites and does not link them to the same account.

    I like the way this blog looks. It is uncluttered, but not bland. Your writing is coherent with good grammar and spelling. You're profile picture is professional, but the angle and expression make you look like someone I want to get to know.

    - Learning Librarian
    http://learninglibrarian.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. WalkingLibrarianNZ09 July, 2011 11:57

    I've enjoyed reading your blogs, and have appreciated the fact that you've taken the time to comment on a couple of my postings. You write well, and like Learning Librarian, I think you come across as someone I'd like to get to know better. We obviously have similar thoughts on our experiences with what we're learning on this course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nikki Herriott09 July, 2011 21:17

    I might look at Weebly, although it's probably too late with the posts I've put up.
    Thanks for the comments about the blog and my writing. I never considered myself as a writer, but I must be getting better! It was one of my worst subjects at school!
    I'll admit about the photo, it was taken about four years ago and ended up in a prospectus for a college I was working for at the time. All other photos of me, I seem to have a drink in my hand! [Not sure what that says about me!]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nikki Herriott15 July, 2011 07:49

    Thanks WalkingLibrarianNZ. It's nice to get comments from around the world. I'll be interested to see how we get on in the future "Things".

    ReplyDelete