Tuesday 6 September 2011

Thing 15: Conferences, seminars, events

A post I'm happy to go on for hours about, so I'll try to keep this as short and sweet as possible!

I've been lucky enough to attend a few conferences. I can remember in 1995 before I went to my first ever residential conference that it would be like a training course. How wrong I was! It was the School Library Association conference in Sheffield. I can remember really getting involved, networking with all and sundry, etc. I came back with so much enthusiasm for the job. It was a real eye-opener to actually get lots of networking time, which doesn't seem to happen on training courses.

Eleven years later in September 2006, I attended the European EndUsers Conference in Edinburgh, for users of Endeavor's library software, such as Voyager, Metalib, SFX, etc. Flights all behaved, and we had time to look around the city (at least two items ticked off on Joeyanne's list!) The conference dinner was held in the Advocates Library along the Royal Mile, which is a really lovely building. I had plenty of chance to network (another from Joeyanne's list), papers from sessions which clashed were available to pick-up and chat to the presenters to find out more. I managed to make contacts from around the world, who I'm still in contact with, even though I don't work with Voyager anymore!

The last ever International EndUser took place in Chicago six months' later. I applied and was granted one of the ten Bon Voyage grants which paid for the majority of the fees. I agreed to do a joint presentation with a colleague from another institution. Presenters often get cheaper fees or sometimes get to go for free, so it's a good thing to do if you're brave enough. My first international conference and first conference presentation - not to mention my first ever trip to the States!! We arranged to get there in advance to give time to get over the jetlag, we had a couple of days to check out the city (even booking up tickets for the Chicago Cubs baseball in advance!) First time presenting is nerve-racking. I'm certainly guilty of a couple of Ned's bugbears. I do say "sort of" and "things like that" and "etc". I can, however, laugh off things which go wrong. My colleague fortunately was an experienced presenter and so it was possibly a lot easier than it could have been!


I was invited to repeat it six months later in Brno, Czech Republic. Unfortunately my colleague had to present on their own, as my employer couldn't afford even the reduced presenters fees.

In 2008, I applied to give a poster presentation at IGeLU. If you'd like to try presenting at conferences, try a poster presentation. I think these originated in the States, so if you don't know what a poster presentation is, here goes... Basically, the presentation is represented by a poster and not by stand up and talk. Generally there is a section at the conference where poster presenters are required to be by their posters and talk to delegates who are interested in the subject/presentation. It's a lot easier, in my opinion, than a stand up presentation.Yes, handouts are expected, but you don't have to talk to masses, only one or two at a time, which is much easier on the nerves, not to mention the voice (if they don't have microphones). There's no producing all-singing, all-dancing PowerPoint presentations and no worrying about equipment going wrong.

Me and my poster, Madrid 2008

Although at the last minute at this conference, I was asked to provide a .pdf of the presentation and deliver this to the whole conference at the introductory session!! You try talking to this lecture theatre full of international delegates from this stage... :-)









I've never organised a conference in my life, I think it would be fun to do, I'm a very organised person, and would probably enjoy doing it. The closest I've ever come is to organising events at the library!

So in a nutshell, I certainly agree with Joeyanne's ten pieces of conference advice. Conferences are full on and you need to have some me time, even if it's just to sit down with a cuppa for more than the 15 minute breaktime. Organising your travel so delays in flights, etc don't mean you make a bit too much of an entrance is recommended. As is, factoring in time to look around the location, this too can be a great time to network with others. Comfortable clothing is definitely recommended, but check the weather first! Madrid in September is decidedly hotter than the UK!!

If you're shy of standing up in front of hundreds delivering a presentation, try to find someone to join up with, or try a poster presentation. The latter are becoming increasingly popular and really do relieve some of the stress and nerves. Doing a presentation is often also a good way to go cheaply, as many presenters are offered reduced fees. It gives you kudos within the conference and also within your organisation. Many organisations like the thought of their name (as well as yours) up in lights!

I often see conferences I'd like to attend, but have found in my current organisation that many higher up in the pecking order are often chosen first... I was even hoping to have gone to the LIANZA conference this year, but something makes me think I'll not be in New Zealand by then!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nikki - very interesting post. I'd like to know what your Chicago and Madrid papers were about. Helen

    ReplyDelete