Friday 16 September 2011

Thing 18: Screening and podcasting

I got confused for a minute, I thought I'd missed a Thing somehow, then remembered!! You can tell it's been a bit of a busy time recently. I've got to a point where the world of work is spinning and I'm getting dizzy hoping it'll end soon! Event planning is coming out of our ears, in addition to the day job which still bumbles along... More of the events later methinks. OK back to the matter in hand!

Jing
I tried to use this at home and was really impressed. Shame we can't use it at work, it would be a nice addition to the "useful pieces of software". I might suggest it for the new staff image (if it happens!) Anyway, we do have a pretty good alternative in...

Screencast-o-matic
This works on a work PC!! Wehay!! I am happy! I've not created any useful videos as yet, it's been too chaotic to do that, but I can see so many uses. We often write so many instruction manuals and it would make instructions so much easier to follow. Not really certain about where the files could be stored either (our shared drive is a bit all over the place following the restructure). I am however determined to try out a test instruction file and send it to staff to see what they think. We could be onto a winner here! I'm feeling positive!

Podcasting
I can see this may be useful. It would be nice for some of our speaker events to be made available after the event for a certain period of time. Our LitFest in March is very popular and tickets for some authors are gone in days. If the authors agree it would be a nice thing to offer podcasts of the event. (I'm glossing over the possible extra cost involved here!)

There's no point in making any audio files available on a staff PC, we have no sound on them!!

As a user, I subscribe to podcasts from the BBC and listen to the files at a later stage on my iPod. I was wary at first, not really sure how it would work, but it's so easy and just like subscribing to a blog! However, I've not looked around to see what other podcasts may be available for me to subscribe to. It's still a bit of a new thing for me, so I need to look around. Are there any you listen to, which you recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment