Wednesday 28 September 2011

Thing 17: Presentations

Well I love using PowerPoint, but obviously I'm behind the times here! Plus it's not very often that I sing the praises of microshaft software.

I can't get either Prezi or Slideshare to work at work, so I've had to leave them both to check at home - again! I even had one of our Development Librarians tell me to check a presentation he'd put on Prezi. I had to politely inform him that his laptop obviously had better and more up to date software on than our standard staff PCs (which run via WYSE terminals!) ARGH!! Bane of my life! I've already asked for the additional software to be installed, but it "may be some time".

Anyway to the matter in hand...

Prezi
Having had a look, it certainly makes what might be a simple presentation all singing all dancing, but is it just me that gets a bit queasy with the zooming in and out? (I'm not drunk by the way!) Looking at some other responses to this, it seems to be quite easy to use (WalkingLibrarianNZ) and has some positive reviews (Continuous Learning). I'll have a look and see if I can make an all-singing, all-dancing presentation to wow the masses! I might not feel quite so queasy if I design my own presentation!

Slideshare
This looks more usable. I think I could actually make something of this. I like the visual resume. I'll have a bit more of a look at this one too.

Seeing as I can't use them for work, I certainly think I might have a look at how to use them personally. I might be looking for a job in the next six months and creating my own CV using either of these would be good practice and might give me a few Brownie points. Although I think they both need excellent images and/or graphics, which may be the stumbling block...

No comments:

Post a Comment