Friday 23 September 2011

Thing 19: Catching up

What a long list of "Things"! I can't believe how much we've covered and also how much I've learnt. I used to be on top of all this software and have got way behind in what's available and what it can be used for. I hate to say it, but I'm going to blame it on the sector I work in... I've worked in acdemic libraries for ages and there is a need to be on top of these resources, knowing what's there and what they can be used for and also needing to know about it yesterday. The emphasis in the public sector and I'd imagine in some others as well is completely different and we seem to be happy to be one step behind!

I will try to pick out my top three or so!

My Personal Brand
This now seems to be constantly on my mind whenever I register for something online. It doesn't matter what it is, I'm thinking of my username, etc. Trouble is, I started out not thinking of this at all and some are still quite a mishmash of brands. My plan will be to create something that is me and me only, I love what Joeyanne Libraryanne has done, so maybe in the future it could happen! Most of my friends seeing this would wonder where the elephant is, so I think my brand may have to develop over the years...

Google Calendar
I may have mocked this a bit in my post back in August, saying that I would never use it, I don't have the time and I have to use Outlook calendar at work, etc, etc. I've persevered and now I find it invaluable. I tend to use it instead of a diary at home now! I've got two online calendars on the go, one in Outlook for work and one in Google for work and life! It is proving to be a lifesaver sometimes. Thank you so much CPD23, I completely swallow my words and take back everything I said at the time!

Evernote
I'm not using this as much as it can be used and still find myself thinking I could do a lot more with it, but it's getting used! I tend to use it mainly for personal notes, since I have to use the web version at work (which tends to be quite slow), but I think it's great the fact I can note something at home and check it later on my phone and at work.

Screencasting
Not something I thought I'd be adding to this list. It's not being used currently, but I can see the potential, particularly for training purposes. I really need to look into it more and see where it can be used before I make a case to the powers that be.

I already had a blog and followed people before this, but I do it a lot more (it's taking me away from Facebook, which is possibly a good thing!) I've also had a LinkedIn profile before starting this, but I can't say I do a lot more with it. I've not got involved in any discussions - must try harder!

This blog, I'd like to think it continues, but I'm not sure. It has a specific purpose currently, but the title I chose meant that I should be able to muse and think about libraries, etc into the future.

One thing though, I'm more aware of what's out there. I can suggest something feeling confident I know it works and it's used in libraries elsewhere. I just hope I can remember it all!

So as a postscript, I feel this is image is apt...

 I need to take a lesson from these who never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment